about     shop     contact         

Thursday, August 22, 2013

what to bring on a business trip

What to bring on a business trip:




#1 Rule- Be a Minimalist! 

After taking a promotion at work and moving to New York, I knew I’d be traveling a lot, but I didn’t know I’d be traveling once a week!  The first business trip is fun and every trip afterwards can be uneventful.  What I’ve learned is how to get to the airport the fastest, which flight to take and where to rent a car.  So the logistic are great.  It also helps that to have Trip Case on your Smartphone.  If you travel and don’t have this app, DOWNLOAD IT RIGHT NOW! It’s a life saver.  The app consolidates all your itineraries into one location.  

Back to packing, here are a few essential things you’ll need right off the bat; a small four wheeled suitcase (make the investment), a tote that doubles as a purse and a travel mug. 

The Luggage: The suitcase should be durable and light. I prefer to have pockets at the front so I can throw my Lucky Magazine and In Style and don’t have to worry about them making my purse heavier. You also want luggage that has four wheels.  It’s a lot easier to maneuver getting on and off the plane.  The luggage should also be as small and light as possible. Us women are typically shorter than and not as strong as men.  So if you can’t pick it up over your head…in heels, lighten your load. 

The Tote: I typically bring a black leather tote.  It works great to put all the necessary items.  For example; flats, computer, note book, wallet, makeup, cell phone charger and more lipstick. Make sure to go through your purse/tote before you travel.  Try and take out all the unnecessary items.  Typically I find old receipt, lots of lip gloss, hair ties, and other odds and ends items.  When you change over bags, remove those unwanted items.  It will make you feel more organized and thus making traveling easier.  When you’re in a hurry and trying to get your boarding pass and ID, the last thing you want in your way is a Nordstrom’s receipt.  It’s frustrating.  

The Travel Mug: It’s not glamorous, but it’s amazing. Most of us drink coffee or team. For myself, I’m always taking an 8am flight out of New York.  So I need a cup of coffee while I’m getting ready in the morning.  So I put the rest of my coffee in my mug and enjoy it on the way to the airport.  When I get to the airport I dump the coffee in the nearest trashcan.  Don’t worry, everyone dumps liquids in there.  Then you put your mug in your tote, go through security and head to the nearest coffee joint.  The last thing you want while you’re traveling is to have all your hands full. The travel mug allows you to put the mug in your tote while you’re boarding the airplane, eating, and/or talking on the phone. Please make sure it’s drip less.  I found a great one at bed bath and beyond.  Don’t buy one with a handle, it gets in the way.
Hope this helps with your business travel.  Us women always seem to have a few “extra” things.  When you travel, try and pack and bring as little as possible.  Remember….be a minimalist!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Olivia